The Birthday Massacre Board The Birthday Massacre Board

Go Back   The Birthday Massacre Board > More Topics > More Music

More Music Discuss artists and bands, old and new.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Violet

Send a message via AIM to FlawedCoil82 Send a message via Yahoo to FlawedCoil82

Oh good, a topic I finally know something about. Well apart from the "big three" (consisting of Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil and Evanescence) my next favorite female fronted rock band in line is...**drumroll** Lunatica!

I love this song (particularly the second half) and only wish it didn't fade out as it was really getting awesome. Lunatica are another symphonic metal band who are usually overshadowed by Nightwish, Epica and the other bands who have the bigger, more "over-the-top" vocalists, but actually I prefer the more unique sounding voice of Andrea Datwyler. If people post opinions to this band then I will continue listing new ones (but for some reason people on this forum are absolutely terrible about leaving their feedback and opinions, which is the only reason I ever bother trying to promote bands on here in the first place) so hopefully someone will say something so I can have motivation to keep listing new ones.
Within Temptation, Flaw, Lacuna Coil, Tool, The Panic Division, Katatonia, Lunatica, The Birthday Massacre, A Perfect Circle, Silverchair ('94-'01), Autumn, Breaking Benjamin, Red, Metallica, Type O Negative, Evanescence, Pallbearer, Source, Evergrey

Last edited by FlawedCoil82; 12-29-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Midnight

They are not metal so..I might just be posting stupidly for no reason BUT Have you listened to much Queen Adreena? Female fronted, sometimes heavy they are heavy(-ish..), and sometimes they are more slow and moody, but always really really good I think.

deviantARTlast.fm

One love to possess me
Old 12-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Hey, Assbutt!

Send a message via MSN to Kizztronice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky View Post
They are not metal so..I might just be posting stupidly for no reason BUT Have you listened to much Queen Adreena? Female fronted, sometimes heavy they are heavy(-ish..), and sometimes they are more slow and moody, but always really really good I think.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Black

^ I like it!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Violet

*Evanescence
*Within Temptation
Nightwish
*Tarja
*Pretty Reckless
Arch Enemy
*My Ruin
Lacuna Coil
*Paramore
*Epica
*Stream of Passion

* indicates those that i've seen live (or in My Ruin's case, met - not at a show!)

Last edited by Fading_To_Grey; 12-30-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
Oh good, a topic I finally know something about. Well apart from the "big three" (consisting of Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil and Evanescence) my next favorite female fronted rock band in line is...**drumroll** Lunatica!

I love this song (particularly the second half) and only wish it didn't fade out as it was really getting awesome. Lunatica are another symphonic metal band who are usually overshadowed by Nightwish, Epica and the other bands who have the bigger, more "over-the-top" vocalists, but actually I prefer the more unique sounding voice of Andrea Datwyler. If people post opinions to this band then I will continue listing new ones (but for some reason people on this forum are absolutely terrible about leaving their feedback and opinions, which is the only reason I ever bother trying to promote bands on here in the first place) so hopefully someone will say something so I can have motivation to keep listing new ones.
I never could get into Lunatica that much. I listened to the Edge of Infinity album before coming back here and I really couldn't feel much from it compared to the other bands listed. I wish that I could describe exactly why, I think I kind of perfer the "over the top" vocals of the other bands that you mentioned. Andrea is clearly a good singer, yet her vocals kind of bore me compared to the others listed. It's just a personal preference, I can't speak for anyone else here and I am curious if it's just myself that feels that way. It's been years since I've listened to Lunatica's other albums though and they sort of got lost in the shuffle of discovering new bands at the time, so I do plan on giving them another chance now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky View Post
Certainly not posting stupidly. I have only heard a few of their songs before so I'll have to check them out as that song is pretty decent. Not exactly "metal" as you say, but honestly it's a stretch to call a lot of the previously mentioned bands in this thread "metal" as it is anyway. Bring on the rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading_To_Grey View Post
*Evanescence
*Within Temptation
Nightwish
*Tarja
*Pretty Reckless
Arch Enemy
*My Ruin
Lacuna Coil
*Paramore
*Epica
*Stream of Passion

* indicates those that i've seen live (or in My Ruin's case, met - not at a show!)
I'm a little jealous... I'd love to see Tarja live sometime this century, I'm sad that I'll never have the chance to see her sing with Nightwish. That was the best lead singer and band combination ever, so perfect. This is my favourite live clip from a recorded show, it defines "symphonic metal" to me.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Black

Old 01-09-2013, 06:36 PM
MCMLXXXIV

Yay to Milky and Queen Adreena, she was also the singer in Daisy Chainsaw.
More rock than metal again but:

Guano Apes
Dis so Fluid
Snake river conspiracy
and the great song In the garden by Without Face

Your unfriendly neighbourhood Spider-bod

Old 01-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Red

Here's my list (various kinds of rock music):
Garbage
Metric
Curve
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The Joy Formidable
Guano Apes
Lacuna Coil
The Sounds
The Kills
The Gathering (when Anneke van Giersbergen was the singer)

...and TBM of course.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:41 AM
Red

This professionally shot live version of Nightwish's "Ghost Love Score" with Floor Jansen is nearly as good as Tarja's that I posted above. I must see this live at some point in my life... I really hope that Nightwish hangs on to Floor for as long as possible, as no disrespect to Anette Ozlon, but Floor is a much better fit for Nightwish.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Red

Send a message via Skype™ to Clapperpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue View Post
Here's my list (various kinds of rock music):
Garbage
Metric
Curve
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The Joy Formidable
Guano Apes
Lacuna Coil
The Sounds
The Kills
The Gathering (when Anneke van Giersbergen was the singer)

...and TBM of course.
I love nearly every single band on that list (I just never quite fully got into The Gathering.)

Emily Haines is the perfect lead and I think the new album by The Joy Formidable is insane (I particularly love 'The Leopard and the Lung' - gives my heart a real good pummelling.)
They seem to get labelled as a Metric & My Bloody Valentine hybrid a lot. I can kinda see it in the sense that all 3 bands are fucking brilliant...!

Queen Adreena are also quite special.

In terms of metal, one female-fronted band I've loved listening to as much as TBM for the past 10 years is Die So Fluid. Vocally, it's a bit Siouxsie Sioux meets Chino Moreno.

http://youtu.be/V1VXhY-iYFk
Old 02-23-2013, 05:53 PM
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading_To_Grey View Post
*Evanescence
*Within Temptation
Nightwish
*Tarja
*Pretty Reckless
Arch Enemy
*My Ruin
Lacuna Coil
*Paramore
*Epica
*Stream of Passion

Wahh! You've seen Tarja live? *jealous face*. AND The Pretty Reckless?! *even bigger jealous face*.

Great list, though. Apart from Paramore; I don't like them.
It's my red star, I know
Old 04-03-2013, 12:39 AM
Oh My Cod!

(I had to share this - with the bunny ears and the purple it reminded me of TBM )

Incredible band. They mix it up a bit with their music which is one of the reasons I love them so much. Maria has a beautiful singing voice and also does screams and growls.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Red

Send a message via Skype™ to Clapperpaw

Has anyone mentioned Obsessive Compulsive yet? I really liked their earlier demos and EPs. The debut was good but I don't think it was as melodic and memorable as anything preceding it. However, their newest offering 'Seculo Seculorum' is just brilliant from start to finish. I love it!
The band supported TBM in the UK back in 2009 I think.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Walking with Strangers

seriously? no love for Drain STH? come on now.