The Birthday Massacre Board The Birthday Massacre Board

Go Back   The Birthday Massacre Board > The Birthday Massacre > Prologue

Prologue Welcome! If you are new to the band or this board, post your introductions here!

Old 06-24-2017, 08:59 PM
Violet

Default Hi! Long time listener first time choler

My wife (then new friend) and I have been fans since we first heard them in 2003. She found out about them on the Deadstar Assembly forum. We never joined the forum because it's kind of just been our thing together.

It feels different now after meeting so many nice people at Tampa and Orlando so here I am!

Something I thought of while watching them in Orlando was how strong of a closer Broken really is. Then I realized they use it as a first or last song fairly often in their sets.

I've always really liked the Jonestown Productions videos that they included on the Blue DVD. I don't know what Steve Jones is doing these days but I felt inspired to do a sort of refresh of his video. Due to June being our wedding month, real life made collecting everything for it slow but I finally sat down and finished it.

Let me know what you think and I look forward to getting to know everyone a lot more
Old 06-25-2017, 01:00 AM
Oh My Cod!

Hello there! It's so cool that your wife is a fan of TBM too and that you met a lot of nice people at the shows :D TBM fans are really the nicest people!!

Nice editing in the video! It's cool you decided to do a refresh of his, I really liked the videos he did too. Hope to see you around more and maybe your wife too?
Old 06-26-2017, 12:34 AM
Unfamiliar

Default Fellow long-time fan and Floridian here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadedReality View Post
My wife (then new friend) and I have been fans since we first heard them in 2003. She found out about them on the Deadstar Assembly forum. We never joined the forum because it's kind of just been our thing together.

It feels different now after meeting so many nice people at Tampa and Orlando so here I am!

Something I thought of while watching them in Orlando was how strong of a closer Broken really is. Then I realized they use it as a first or last song fairly often in their sets.

I've always really liked the Jonestown Productions videos that they included on the Blue DVD. I don't know what Steve Jones is doing these days but I felt inspired to do a sort of refresh of his video. Due to June being our wedding month, real life made collecting everything for it slow but I finally sat down and finished it.

Let me know what you think and I look forward to getting to know everyone a lot more
I was trying to remember which year it was when I first heard about them. I know it was 2005 or earlier.. I remember reading about them on LiveJournal, before Myspace became popular.. My first show was in 2006, in Tampa, at this club called "Czar". They were still on the Violet tour.

It sounds like you may have been to a lot of the same shows I've been to. I know we were both at the Orlando show at The Social recently. Did you do the VIP thing too?
Old 06-26-2017, 09:26 AM
Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspended7DusK View Post
I was trying to remember which year it was when I first heard about them. I know it was 2005 or earlier.. I remember reading about them on LiveJournal, before Myspace became popular.. My first show was in 2006, in Tampa, at this club called "Czar". They were still on the Violet tour.

It sounds like you may have been to a lot of the same shows I've been to. I know we were both at the Orlando show at The Social recently. Did you do the VIP thing too?
Ahh yeah we saw them in Fort Lauderdale at The Culture Room back then. We were broke art school kids and the venue was 5 miles from the dorm so we never really left the city back then

We did go to Orlando this time but were off to the side by the ramp to the stage the whole time. I spent most of the night talking to the merch guy and the opening acts as we had just seen them and did VIP in Tampa at The Orpheum. It was our 10 year wedding anniversary and I managed to get word to the band about my wife's TBM tattoo:

and how we bought the Blue DVD in 2006 and only got Rhim, Rainbow, and Falcore's signatures and would really like if we could maybe get the rest 11 years later. I posted some pics in the tour thread!
Old 06-26-2017, 12:16 PM
Walking with Strangers

Quote:
Ahh yeah we saw them in Fort Lauderdale at The Culture Room back then. We were broke art school kids and the venue was 5 miles from the dorm so we never really left the city back then

We did go to Orlando this time but were off to the side by the ramp to the stage the whole time. I spent most of the night talking to the merch guy and the opening acts as we had just seen them and did VIP in Tampa at The Orpheum. It was our 10 year wedding anniversary and I managed to get word to the band about my wife's TBM tattoo:

and how we bought the Blue DVD in 2006 and only got Rhim, Rainbow, and Falcore's signatures and would really like if we could maybe get the rest 11 years later. I posted some pics in the tour thread!
Love that tattoo! It's something different. Jealous you've known them for so long.

Got to ask, what's a 'choler' though? XD

Thank you Plague Kitty for the signature. :')
Old 06-26-2017, 03:24 PM
Oh My Cod!

Quote:

Awesome tattoo! And nice story too
Old 06-26-2017, 07:16 PM
Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomScarf View Post
Love that tattoo! It's something different. Jealous you've known them for so long.

Got to ask, what's a 'choler' though? XD
Quote:
Choler: n. (in medieval science and medicine) one of the four bodily humors, identified with bile, believed to be associated with a peevish or irascible temperament.
literary, archaic
anger or irascibility.
Just a play on words hehe
I wish it was "known" since we all went to art school and are passionate about music but we're just fans

All the recent stuff got us talking about that concert in 2006 and I was even more awkward than I thought. I recently typed up the story:

Quote:
We saw them at The Culture Room, the rock club in Ft Lauderdale. We were at the merch table outside buying the Blue DVD during Deadstar Assembly so we couldn't get close but enjoyed the set from a distance. After the show Rhim, Falcore, and Rainbow were standing in the open air smoking section / courtyard area at the club. No one was even approaching them, in part because Deadstar Assembly was the bigger draw for the teenage goth set in the area and the club was all ages. I urged Trish to go up and talk to them but her shyness was stopping her. I said "OK, let's go over. I'll lead the way and it'll be totally cool and regular. We'll talk music or something it'll be fun!"

We walk up, me all confident that I'm about to impress my fiancee with how nonchalantly I walk up to her favorite band, my peers as I too make music. We approached and one of the guys immediately spotted the DVD in her hand and before we could speak said "oh hey, thanks for the support! want us to sign it?" Trish said yes, they asked her name and started signing. There I was standing mute, my cool nonchalance somewhere gone forever. I guess my brain realized that hey, you're pretty into this band as well. I search for words and the best I can manage while they sign the DVD is "I MAKE MUSIC TOO." I don't offer up a genre, an instrument, nothing. That was apparently all I had apart from a growing flopsweat. Regardless, Rainbow didn't even blink and said "cool, keep it up!" They thanked us for coming and we left beaming.
Right after all that, the keyboard player from Deadstar Assembly was caught making out with a teenager and got beat up or something and kicked out of the band. When we met them at the Tampa VIP I produced the Blue DVD and talked about that show and the missing signatures. Falcore said to Rainbow "if I remember that turned into a REALLY wild night" and they shared a laugh

The camera guy caught it, too!

Everything was such a whirlwind I didn't even think about it until my wife reminded me later.

Last edited by FadedReality; 06-26-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:12 PM
Red

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing the stories! That is great that you got the rest of the signatures for the Blue DVD. The band really are a great bunch. I only wish we could have gotten a VIP like some venues had, where it was more limited, and everyone gets to mingle in a room with the band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspended7DusK View Post
My first show was in 2006, in Tampa, at this club called "Czar". They were still on the Violet tour.
That was probably the show a friend of mine invited me to. I declined, having never heard of the band before... then when it was too late to go, out of curiosity I checked out the N&N web site and that was it, I was hooked (and kicking myself for not going).
Old 06-30-2017, 03:39 PM
Violet

Damn that would have been great to get to just hang out for a little while. Too many people wanting to the VIP is a good problem to have though hehe
Old 07-02-2017, 10:32 PM
Unfamiliar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Thanks for sharing the stories! That is great that you got the rest of the signatures for the Blue DVD. The band really are a great bunch. I only wish we could have gotten a VIP like some venues had, where it was more limited, and everyone gets to mingle in a room with the band.

That was probably the show a friend of mine invited me to. I declined, having never heard of the band before... then when it was too late to go, out of curiosity I checked out the N&N web site and that was it, I was hooked (and kicking myself for not going).
To be honest, I miss being able to see them after the show as opposed to the VIP thing. When they were on the "Walking with Strangers" tour, I was able to go with them to a bar after a show in St. Petersburg and have a few drinks with them. Some of the band members from their opening band "The Start" were there too. Rhim has always been one of the easiest band members to talk to, by the way. I missed seeing him on this latest tour.