The Birthday Massacre Board The Birthday Massacre Board

Go Back   The Birthday Massacre Board > The Birthday Massacre > The Birthday Massacre

The Birthday Massacre General discussion about the band.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:44 PM
Violet

I actually discovered them on Pandora and became hooked immediately. They're sound captivated me from the 80s pop sound, to the dark lyrics soothed by chibis delicate voice, to the mesmerizing guitar riffs, I could go on and on
Old 06-14-2016, 02:53 PM
Walking with Strangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter Queen View Post
It all began when I got obsessed with Death Note, read the novel "Another Note" that is a story of a murderer named Beyond Birthday (he's on my avatar, by the way) and found some AMVs about him on Youtube. The songs of TBM were used almost everywhere, because every single one of them fits, I swear! The first song I heard was "Happy Birthday" and it's still my favourite one.
Pretty strange story, actually...
So surprised I didn't post in this thread already. I discovered them a very similar way to you. I was obsessed with Death Note at the time and listened to a Beyond Birthday video with "Goodnight" as the song. Thought it sounded unique, so checked out the video suggestions with their other songs. Loved them. My first real band that I'd discovered by myself (was a bit of a sheltered kiddie who didn't go out of my way to listen to music - not even mainstream music among other things, just the odd song here and there).

Here's the video for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V13bztBFgKU

The original was removed and the creator reuploaded it, with that weird intro.

ETA: I believe when I saw them at The Joiners in 2010 or 2008 I mentioned that they'd previously just finished a UK tour a bit before I discovered them. Not sure exactly how many years I've known them for now.

Last edited by DoomScarf; 09-11-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:38 PM
Persephone

Location: Where I go hauntingly, within the depths of a darkened forest

I'm gonna re-type this because what I posted yeaaaaaaaars ago (and I deleted) was very shitty :/ Soo~!!! I'm gonna listen to the song "Looking Glass" to get the feelings of when I got into them! :3 Here goes~!!! I remember it fucking vividly as if it just happened yesterday! It might get long o.o

The year was 2007. I had just come home from school (back when I went to public high school and little did I know just a month away from dropping out-from being stalked, bullied and threatened-and entering a private all-girls school where I graduated) and my brother's computer was free for me to use~!!!! :D So, I went and opened a torrent that he installed and started looking in the "Gothic" section. I came across the "Looking Glass" title and thought it had something to do with the whole Alice In Wonderland thing. I downloaded and listened to it. At first listen, I was a bit turned off. I wasn't used to the vocals (and this is coming from someone who listened to Jack Off Jill and Scarling ), I guess. I just didn't like it. So, I deleted the song but as I downloaded more stuff by BlutEngel and other bands, I just ended up re-downloading and going back to the "Looking Glass" song. And then deleting it and then downloading again. I couldn't help myself. Something about it just kept telling me to go back to it. Listen to it, give it a chance. Eventually, it grew on me.

I looked them up on Youtube and came across the video for "Blue" and I was fucking in love~!!! Dolls, bunny ears, music box melody, lovely vocals and then all of a sudden fucking growls and then back to normal vocals and then ending in that lovely heavy guitar solo?!? OMG, fucking yes! O.O lol I downloaded anything and everything by them. Next day, I went to the Orange County Fair for the first time. Listening to TBM in the car ("Queen Of Hearts" to be precise!) as the sun was setting, on the fucking freeway...omg. It was just something. Quite a feeling! The next day after the fair, I went to Amoeba Records in Hollywood and picked up the "Walking With Strangers" CD. I still have it.

I don't really remember 2008 (associated with TBM) except being excited for a new album and visiting the "Nothing and Nowhere" site a lot. It didn't really cross my mind that there was a forum for TBM. I don't know why 2009 but something just clicked in me that maybe I should look for a forum. And it's this lovely place! It's always been my home. In 2009, I didn't buy the "Pins and Needles" album. I don't know why because I love that album so much D: Instead, I ended up buying the live cd of "Show and Tell". I still have it.

Don't remember 2010 (associated with TBM). Barely remember 2011. 2012, I went to Las Vegas for the first time. I had NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fucking idea that TBM was even IN Las Vegas around that time (November! :/ I remember the month because my brother was off doing a volunteer thing for the election and he invited us over to stay at his hotel for a night). However, I didn't come home empty handed! I came home with "Hide and Seek" (also with a navy-ish babydoll top with red polka dots that my sister in law gave to me and I ended up wearing the night we went out, just us two, gambling) on them

*Wraps this up* And the rest is history! It's 2016 and I await the new re-release of "Imagica" (since "Queen Of Hearts" was and is my favorite off that album!) and the new album.

The waning moon sets to rest
Withering a night sky to a zombie grey light
Persephone Dark Queen's Underworld
Old 08-23-2016, 10:23 PM
Red Stars

what a great story plague .
Old 09-26-2016, 01:47 AM
Puddin~

Default How'd you hear about TBM?

I once heard about them when they were coming into concert with the beloved Emilie Autumn. I never listened to them despite that, however; I also unfortunately never was able to attend that concert (turned out TBM cancelled anyway...). Then a yearish later my (now ex) girlfriend mentioned them once in passing. It wasn't until I got my last.fm account a few months later that I finally listened to them, ironically as a suggestion based on Emilie Autumn being one of the artists in my library. Blue was the first song I listened to, and ever since, I was hooked.

Last edited by bloody-black-cupcakes; 09-26-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:55 AM
Oh My Cod!

Send a message via Skype™ to Clear Vision

T than you're at the right place here to read all about the TBM story and how all the members discovered the band. Have fun reading them all Cupcake!

Old 10-03-2016, 09:37 PM
Persephone

Location: Where I go hauntingly, within the depths of a darkened forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamThing View Post
what a great story plague .
Thanks! ;D ❤

The waning moon sets to rest
Withering a night sky to a zombie grey light
Persephone Dark Queen's Underworld
Old 10-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Midnight

I got into TBM in 7th grade. I got pulled out of a very bad situation at school and before we moved to another state I watched the video for Blue.

I was severely bullied in middle school. For those of you who don't know I am autistic and have epilepsy. All of the girls at school were all about Abercrombie and I was the girl who was weird and didn't know any social skills.

During the video for Blue I noticed Chibi with her bunny ears and tattoos. I told one of my family members that I thought she looked like a model. I realized that if a woman with anime tattoos and bunny ears can be pretty and surrounded with guys like Rainbow and Rhim and the rest of the guys and have true fans then I could be popular too with my own kind of people.

Chibi became a major role model for me. In Blue she sounded angry kind of like I was angry at myself for not being popular.Then I listened to Play Dead and the lyrics described my situation. Boys were rude and nasty to me and I didn't fit in with the girls.

When we moved I bought the full Violet album and one TBM album turned into another.

And this is why I can relate to Rachel in Boring Girls because I idolize Chibi like Rachel idolized Marie Lise.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:26 AM
Unfamiliar

Sadly not until August 2015! I was working graveyard shift driving a truck locally so in some way I think that working overnight fed my need for more goth music. I was already deep into a 69 Eyes kick when I got onto Reddit/Gothmusic. Someone had posted a you tube video of "the dream" from Violet. I was intrigued and went further down the you tube rabbit hole(appropriate) of other TBM songs. The band hit me like a freight train and I was thoroughly pissed I hadn't discovered them sooner. I thought back on it and I feel like I had ever come across their name in the past I probably assumed they were some generic metalcore band based on their name.