The Birthday Massacre Board The Birthday Massacre Board

Go Back   The Birthday Massacre Board > The Birthday Massacre > The Birthday Massacre

The Birthday Massacre General discussion about the band.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:58 AM
Sleepwalking

A poll would be fun! I find the more I listen to the album, my favorites change! This album's lyrics are pretty dark, but i'm loving it! I always enjoy how they can grow and put out new material but still sound so like the old TBM.

My favorites as of right now are Counterpane, Unkind, Games and Hex.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:19 PM
Violet

This album after a couple listens immediately goes into top 3 albums. Wont over take WWS or Violet but could in the future. Chibi sounds absolutely amazing in it. I like the slight differences in their sound. Sound a little more industrial in some of their songs. Overall the depth of every song is unreal. They really can't make a bad song or album lol.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:32 AM
Zombie Kitty

^ Nope they can not!

The witch is inside of me
Her poison will wash away the memory
Old 06-15-2017, 06:05 PM
Oh My Cod!

^ Agreed! They really cannot make a bad album or song, imo. Even when I listen to the songs I listen to the least, I enjoy them, sing along and then ask myself why I don't listen to them more

[ ! ] ALSO, there was a thread made HERE to vote for your favorite song on Under Your Spell, please go vote and discuss!
Old 06-15-2017, 07:40 PM
Red

Question

Now that people have been able to listen to this album more... I'm curious to know how others feel about the exclusion of the linking / cross-fading sound effects between the songs?

I miss them, and considered making some of my own. But I couldn't do something for every song nearly as well as TBM do.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:37 PM
Oh My Cod!

^ I noticed that too and also miss them. I liked how that made it seem they are all connected and continue through each other

But it is something different :D
Old 06-21-2017, 05:14 PM
Ghost blood

Honestly, it took me a while to get into the new album. First listen I wasn't like, jumping up and down like I was for the other albums. But after a couple listens I must say I can't STOP listening to it. I can't believe how much it's grown on me - probably one of my favorite albums now.
I've got the strangest feeling/this isn't our first time around
Old 06-21-2017, 08:14 PM
Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkholiday View Post
Honestly, it took me a while to get into the new album. First listen I wasn't like, jumping up and down like I was for the other albums. But after a couple listens I must say I can't STOP listening to it. I can't believe how much it's grown on me - probably one of my favorite albums now.
Since my physical copy still hasn't arrived, I finally gave in a few days ago and downloaded my pledged version, and I didn't really like it. Unfortunately, I still don't. I'm hoping that my opinion changes, but I've listened to the whole thing seven times, and it's just not hitting me at all. None of their previous albums have ever been disappointing to me before. I guess I just don't like the new sound.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:43 AM
Zombie Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera Doll View Post
^ Agreed! They really cannot make a bad album or song, imo.
I confess that I used to think "Nevermind" and "Holiday" were fucking awful, just awful! But now I love the melodies of "Holiday" and think the song "Nevermind" is so fucking cute (because of the music video and fairytale-like quality of the intro and outro! ).

Old 06-22-2017, 07:39 PM
Oh My Cod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkholiday View Post
Same here! I still think I need to listen more though. I'm glad it grew on you and is one of your favorite albums now! That's awesome :D I'm still undecided if it's one of the very top favorites but I think it will be, it's always hard for me to choose when it comes to TBM. Happy to see a post from you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague Kitty View Post
I confess that I used to think "Nevermind" and "Holiday" were fucking awful, just awful! But now I love the melodies of "Holiday" and think the song "Nevermind" is so fucking cute (because of the music video and fairytale-like quality of the intro and outro! ).
I can understand that! When I first got into TBM, it took me awhile to really get into some of their older songs for some reason but now I love them to death. Holiday was a song that I didn't really like for quite some time but once I saw how a few TBM fans really seemed to love it, I listened more and it grew on me :3 Same with Promise Me. I can't believe I didn't really like it much before either. It's sooo good! Both of them!

I think that's just how it is with some songs, also depending on the person's tastes and such. It amazes me how their songs and albums can grow on you. Some less listened songs can become favorites, for example, it's pretty cool. I still firmly believe they don't have a bad song or a "filler" song at all. When I listen through albums I thoroughly enjoy every single song. Even the ones I don't listen to all that much. They're all unique and special in their own way
Old 06-25-2017, 05:10 PM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelebourne View Post
Since my physical copy still hasn't arrived, I finally gave in a few days ago and downloaded my pledged version, and I didn't really like it. Unfortunately, I still don't. I'm hoping that my opinion changes, but I've listened to the whole thing seven times, and it's just not hitting me at all. None of their previous albums have ever been disappointing to me before. I guess I just don't like the new sound.
I'll admit, this album isn't an instant love for me like Violet and Superstition were. WWS is my least favorite album, or I should say has the least number of "I love this song!" songs on it. At that time, I had just found the band through their old web site and the album Violet. So it took a while for WWS to grow on me. UYS didn't take nearly as long for me to like it, but it did take several listens (after the listen sessions) to really form an opinion about it.

It's all subjective, but I'd recommend giving another listen to One, Endless, Games, and Unkind. I'd say those songs are the ones most similar to previous works.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:05 AM
Unfamiliar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
This album after a couple listens immediately goes into top 3 albums. Wont over take WWS or Violet but could in the future. Chibi sounds absolutely amazing in it. I like the slight differences in their sound. Sound a little more industrial in some of their songs. Overall the depth of every song is unreal. They really can't make a bad song or album lol.
Some of it sounds like a throwback to Nothing and Nowhere. Definitely some shades of Violet in there too. I really love what they've been doing with the last couple of albums. It's reignited my love for them and reminds me of why I got into them in the first place.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:20 AM
Oh My Cod!

I mentioned this is the voting thread for favorite song of Under Your Spell but wanted to say it here too. In the beginning of Games I hear some of the noises from the beginning of Video Kid :O Specifically around 0:04 seconds on and off until about 0:10!

Games had already grew on me a lot but that right there makes me like it even more :D

Also, I have to say this album as a whole is growing on me a lot too. I'm thinking it will be one of my most favorite albums just not sure where exactly it will rank. Without You is growing on me lots more as well as Unkind, which I would say are my 2 least favorites at the moment. I love how personal this album is, can easily connect with lots of the lyrics
Old 06-26-2017, 11:16 AM
Violet

I have to agree with Chimera Doll. I'm of the age where people in my family are dying of illness and old age at an increasing rate. Add in a youth of toxic relationships and this album has been hitting me harder than any so far. I think it's my favorite one yet!

Favorite song on it is impossible. Immediately loved All of Nothing, then The Lowest Low was my jam, then Endless, then Games. Right now it's Hex. They've really got a great handle on their sound and Dave Ogilvie knocks it out of the park. When I listened to it on my phone's speaker to hear what it sounds like with no bass response at all, I heard some all new sounds I'd not noticed before!
Old 07-26-2017, 06:18 AM
Zombie Kitty

For some reason, I just can't get into "Endless". I've tried, believe me, I've fucking tried but I just can't get into it. Which is weird because I love Tegan and Sara's "Love You To Death" and "Heartthrob" album.

Also, I love "All Of Nothing" soooooooooo much!