The Birthday Massacre Board The Birthday Massacre Board

Go Back   The Birthday Massacre Board > More Topics > More Music

More Music Discuss artists and bands, old and new.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:13 AM
Video Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrow.cloud View Post
I liked Billy's solo record also. A100 is a great song. and yes the old Pumpkins rule, but maybe you should give the new Pumpkins (SP2 lol) a chance. there are some songs on Zeitgeist that sound like the "old Pumpkins". check out 7 Shades of Black, Bring the Light, and Doomsday Clock. and check out their new EP American Gothic. Again, Again, Again sounds like Try,Try,Try.
Personally i don't care if James and D'Arcy are missing from the band..Corgan has always been the creative mastermind behind the Pumpkins anyway. i know the former members brought a certain personality to the band that no one can replace and fans won't forget, but did they really contribute much to the music and concepts? i always got the feeling that Corgan took over everything.
as for the new members, they are very talented. Billy and Jimmy didn't include them in the initial recording of Zeitgeist because they didn't know at the time if there were going to be other members. and Billy said in a recent interview that he would include them in future projects/recordings.
and the coffin picture..i think it represents the death and burial of the "old Pumpkins". Rest In Peace. Billy is probably trying to move on in his own way without his original lineup.
maybe if I find a used copy of the new cd I'll give it a listen... can't find a torrent unfortunately. I am curious. I refuse to buy it for the full price. I think someday they will really reunite... and sell out every show because people will be so happy to see the old pumpkins together... everyone does it for the ch-ching.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Red

Does anybody have a logical and sensible reason for saying they were better back in the day, besides "James and D'Arcy were there."?

They did nothing of note, and it's merely nostalgia that is causing such feelings. As long as it's Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlain, it will be The Smashing Pumpkins.

If Zeitgeist was written or released by any other new band, people would be creaming their pants over it. Stop comparing it to Mellon Collie etc, it's a new album.

-AC

"I would have waited an eternity for this. It's over, Prime.".
Old 03-28-2008, 04:52 AM
Unfamiliar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Centauri View Post
Does anybody have a logical and sensible reason for saying they were better back in the day, besides "James and D'Arcy were there."?

They did nothing of note, and it's merely nostalgia that is causing such feelings. As long as it's Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlain, it will be The Smashing Pumpkins.

If Zeitgeist was written or released by any other new band, people would be creaming their pants over it. Stop comparing it to Mellon Collie etc, it's a new album.

-AC
exactly
Old 03-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Violet

i listened to the new album before i bought it too and i was like uhh noo...
i didn't care for it either which sucked because im a huge fan and was expecting soo much better. has anyone seen the super christ video? also a disappointment! i always fall in love with their vids not this time.

BUT i still listen to their old stuff on a daily basis its so hard to pick a fav song so i will list a few!

stand inside your love
pug
ava adore
behold the nightmare
today
love
Cause the truth is such a bore
With the threat of dawn approaching
And our interest quickly fading
We will stumble home together
As we did the night before

Layout site with tbm layouts made by me
http://sexybandits.proboards78.com/index.cgi

my space
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...iendid=3135666
Old 07-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Walking with Strangers

Send a message via MSN to Narcoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyon View Post
I luff Adore & Machina though.. I thought those 2 albums were really innovative.
That's hardly old pumpkins, but even so.

I love smashing pumpkins, I was really into them when I was a kid and I still love them now. Zeitgeist is just as good as their older stuff & some of it is better some older songs. James & D'arcy never really wrote much SP stuff so although it's cool to see bands with their original line up I don't think it's really that detrimental to the effect withou them
Old 07-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Violet

Send a message via AIM to ruby porcelina

The Pumpkins are my favorite band of all time. I've grown up with their music. I think Gish came out when I was 2 or 3 and, through my father, I've been listening since 1991.

As much as I hate saying it, it is kind of true that as long as Corgan and Chamberlain are together, the Pumpkins are together. It's common knowledge that Corgan did almost all of the guitar and bass parts on the final cut of Siamese Dream, their breakthrough album. D'arcy and James added an element to the live show that can't be found again, but as far as album cuts go, the Pumpkins are still as alive as ever. Zeitgeist was just another evolution in their sound, much like Adore's departure from the Mellon Collie era.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Midnight

I don't often listen the Smashing Pumpkins but I know their song Zero very well.
Evanescence and Synical covered this song, and I prefer their versions than the original, do you believe me ?
Lol, I must have some problems ....
Will you remember me ?

---------------------------------------

We're all dancing to the same sad song.
And we're not sleeping, but it won't take long.

<Illicit conviction>

TBM's music is a neverending story .....

MY DEVIANT ART <= I so like it XD

Chocolate-Noiz (personal French blog)
MySpace
Old 03-11-2010, 01:52 AM
Blue

I love the Smashing Pumpkins. One of my all time favorites. Billy is an outstanding song writer and a big influence.

I don't care for the new stuff quite as much, but I still respect it. Zeitgeist was definitely a miss for me.. completely.. but Teargarden seems to be getting a bit better.

My favorite album is Adore.. One of my favorite albums ever.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:40 AM
Red Stars

Love 'em, but haven't heard much of the new stuff other than Tarantula, which I loved. Saw them a couple years back at a festival, pretty amazing,
best light show I've ever seen, and really I'm just happy we get any SP at all.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:40 PM
In the Mood

Siamese Dream is my fave. MCatIS a close 2nd.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:50 AM
No.

I bought Adore today, and holy fuck. This is so damn beautiful.