The Birthday Massacre Board The Birthday Massacre Board

Go Back   The Birthday Massacre Board > The Birthday Massacre > The Birthday Massacre

The Birthday Massacre General discussion about the band.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Violet

Ok first post on here. Been wanting to post on here forever. First off I'm a huge fan of TBM. Their sound is so awesome that even though my iPOD is full of thousands of bands and songs they are still my favorite band. And I'm a huge metal head.

It's hard for me to rank all their songs because I love almost all of them but I'll attempt...

First song that got me into them I heard was about 6 or 7 years ago. I was listening to some random Pandora station and kill the lights was the first song of theirs that came on. The album cover of Walking with Strangers, the creepy beginning, haunting sounds, merging into the melodic keyboard fused with guitar riffs only then to be blown away by her beautiful voice made kill the lights my number one song. Because it was my first love with them. It was my hook and still to this day is one of their top songs. I then just rushed and bought that album and every one after that. By far my favorite album by them. In fact there's not many albums out there that come close in any other genre.

So here's my list:
Kill the lights
Red Stars
Science
The Dream (Best intro to any of their songs imo)
Goodnight
Holiday
Video Kid
The looking Glass
Horror Show
Falling Down
Last Daze cover
Unfamiliar
Weekend
Divide
Diaries
Calling
Pins and Needles
Lovers End
To Die For
Shallow Grave
Down
Oceana
Beyond
Midnight
The Other Side
In The Dark
Blue
Sleep Walking
Control
One Promise
In this moment
Happy Birthday

That was harder than expected . Some of those change day in and day out but top 10 is pretty firm.

Last edited by Garo; 05-14-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:59 PM
Oh My Cod!

^ I feel the same way about Kill The Lights. It's the first song that I fell in love with when I found TBM and will forever be my number 1 favorite.

It's awesome to know that someone feels the same, yay!
Old 05-14-2015, 10:15 AM
Red

Can I add "In this Moment" to my list. Love love love the lyrics to this one
Old 05-14-2015, 12:20 PM
Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera Doll View Post
^ I feel the same way about Kill The Lights. It's the first song that I fell in love with when I found TBM and will forever be my number 1 favorite.

It's awesome to know that someone feels the same, yay!
Hell yeah that is awesome! I've been reading many threads and we have a rare thing going on for sure. Surprised it's not others favorite either.

How did you first hear the song if you don't mind me asking?

Oh and I just looked up Last Daze cover they did. Holy shit! That is in my top songs by them now. Editing my previous post! Wow

Last edited by Garo; 05-14-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:13 AM
Blue

This is going to be hard because I like multiple songs on most albums.

Promise Me
Holiday
Walking with Strangers
Pale
Forever
Alibis
Diaries
Old 05-16-2015, 04:28 AM
Oh My Cod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Hell yeah that is awesome! I've been reading many threads and we have a rare thing going on for sure. Surprised it's not others favorite either.

How did you first hear the song if you don't mind me asking?

Oh and I just looked up Last Daze cover they did. Holy shit! That is in my top songs by them now. Editing my previous post! Wow
:D

I heard it on their Myspace back when I first discovered them and it became my favorite instantly.

I listen to the Last Daze cover a lot, it's soooo good. Reminds me of a carnival and pretty sure there are roller coaster sounds in the beginning, didn't hear them though for the longest time
Old 05-16-2015, 09:06 PM
Violet

Quote:
:D

I heard it on their Myspace back when I first discovered them and it became my favorite instantly.

I listen to the Last Daze cover a lot, it's soooo good. Reminds me of a carnival and pretty sure there are roller coaster sounds in the beginning, didn't hear them though for the longest time
Nice! There's something different with Kill the lights. I think that's why I like WWS so much. It was their more 80s sounding synthy album. The guitar had alot of The Cure and older sound to it in most of their songs.

I don't get to talk to alot of hardcore TBM fans because they seem hard to find so I'm sorry if I ask you alot of questions about them in this thread.

I'm assuming WWS is your favorite album. What was it about that album or whatever your favorite album is that separates from the others?
Old 05-18-2015, 03:50 AM
Oh My Cod!

^ Yes, Walking With Strangers is truly special Goodnight is probably my second favorite on that album. I love how Kill The Lights fades into that song...my favorite transition of an end of a song into the beginning of another!

Oh man I love the 80s so much, I know that's one reason why I dig this band. Yeah! Movie reminds me of The Cure Especially Plainsong.

Nooo, it's fine! I don't mind, really. And if you'd like to chat more feel free to PM me or leave me a message on my profile ^ . ^

I think it is my favorite but it's difficult for me to decide, to be honest. I really love Hide and Seek and Superstition as well as Pins and Needles and of course the other albums too :x But I think it is due to the fact it's the first album of theirs I really got into, I believe. With Kill The Lights being the opener

I can tell you that I love Pins and Needles a lot as an album because of it's heavier, darker side. I think of Hide and Seek and Superstition of albums that tell a story through all of the songs. I was convinced Hide and Seek was my favorite when it was released and I felt that even stronger with Superstition. And Walking With Strangers seems to focus more on childhood and youth with fairytale and school themes (the album art!)

I'm thinking it's difficult for me to choose because I love all of what TBM has to offer. I love the 80s sound, upbeat and bubbly type as well as the darker, heavy side too. Synths and guitar are the best, especially together. It's amazing how Chibi can sound so sweet, innocent and lovely and then turn around with those deep, evil sounding growls, hehe.
I saw somewhere you said you love 80s and metal and pretty female vocals so TBM is the perfect blend. I couldn't agree more with you on that. That's why they are perfect for me too along with so many other reasons! :D
Old 05-18-2015, 10:05 AM
Red

Last Daze! OMG! I've been a TBM fan for years and never even heard of this! Off to Amazon now to purchase asap!!!
Old 05-18-2015, 12:58 PM
Red

^ I only heard it once in a pretty bad quality. Found a better one now. I think it's great that they hav done so much stuff over the years and you can always discover something new.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:07 PM
Violet

Quote:
^ Yes, Walking With Strangers is truly special Goodnight is probably my second favorite on that album. I love how Kill The Lights fades into that song...my favorite transition of an end of a song into the beginning of another!
I absolutely love Goodnight. I'm actually listening to it as I write this. That's why it's so hard to rank their songs. I love them all lol.

Quote:
Oh man I love the 80s so much, I know that's one reason why I dig this band. Yeah! Movie reminds me of The Cure Especially Plainsong.
Agreed! I know that's where alot of their influence comes from and it shows.

Quote:
Nooo, it's fine! I don't mind, really. And if you'd like to chat more feel free to PM me or leave me a message on my profile ^ . ^
I just added you as a friend so I will be sending you one soon.

Quote:
I think it is my favorite but it's difficult for me to decide, to be honest. I really love Hide and Seek and Superstition as well as Pins and Needles and of course the other albums too :x But I think it is due to the fact it's the first album of theirs I really got into, I believe. With Kill The Lights being the opener
Yeah I love all those albums too but the nostalgic feeling I get from every song from WWS definitely helps me with the tie breaker. WWS is to me such a masterpiece and their best sound imo. The other albums are close to that sound but it's just a little tweak that makes them a little different. Superstition is slowly moving up the ranks. It gets better with every listen.

Quote:
I can tell you that I love Pins and Needles a lot as an album because of it's heavier, darker side. I think of Hide and Seek and Superstition of albums that tell a story through all of the songs. I was convinced Hide and Seek was my favorite when it was released and I felt that even stronger with Superstition. And Walking With Strangers seems to focus more on childhood and youth with fairytale and school themes (the album art!)
Yeah I really like the dark side and more guitar riffs of pins and needles. If Violet didn't have so many classics it would be my second favorite. Superstition and Hide and seek are 4 and 5 to me but are right up there. It's very true that TBM is incapable of making a bad album. They are genius in being able to stay true to their fans and sound yet tweak it just enough to make each album different in its own way and sound.

Quote:
I'm thinking it's difficult for me to choose because I love all of what TBM has to offer. I love the 80s sound, upbeat and bubbly type as well as the darker, heavy side too. Synths and guitar are the best, especially together. It's amazing how Chibi can sound so sweet, innocent and lovely and then turn around with those deep, evil sounding growls, hehe.
I saw somewhere you said you love 80s and metal and pretty female vocals so TBM is the perfect blend. I couldn't agree more with you on that. That's why they are perfect for me too along with so many other reasons! :D
Yep the sincerity of the 80s lyrics was lost somewhat in 90s and todays music. TBM seems to keep that in tact. They really are the perfect blend of light and dark and keyboard, and guitar. Hell even their drummer meshes well with everything. That's why they are so badass live. Their cohesion is ridiculous. And Chibi's voice. Well let's just say I've heard many female voices and have yet to find anyone with her range or ability. She is bar none the best sounding vocalist I've ever heard. It's really to bad more people don't know about this band. Really hope they tour in the states again soon.

I'll PM you soon
Old 05-20-2015, 04:27 AM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
It's really to bad more people don't know about this band.
I'm absolutely amazed more people aren't aware of their awesomeness.

In a way though, I quite like the fact they haven't become too big and sucked into conforming with the mainstream.

TBM is our band, nobody elses!!!
Old 05-20-2015, 12:31 PM
Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by korpse View Post
I'm absolutely amazed more people aren't aware of their awesomeness.

In a way though, I quite like the fact they haven't become too big and sucked into conforming with the mainstream.

TBM is our band, nobody elses!!!
You're absolutely right! They are our band.

I think when people even hear about them they get turned off by their band name and it's a damn shame because there's only a few handful of songs that even remotely project what most would think the band name is. I remember seeing an interview with Chibi recently and she said the band name is more about mixing happiness and violence in their style. Thats why some songs are happy and light sounding and some are violent and or morbid. Then you have those that have a mix of both.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:16 PM
Violet

Been listening to Pins and Needles Album. I don't know why but Sideways is sounding extra awesome right now. I mean it always does but you know what I mean.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:21 AM
Oh My Cod!

^ Sideways is one of my top favorites from that album. The beginning is so creepy and there's just something really unique and special about it.

I'm so happy you like it! I remember someone on here considering it a filler on that album and it made me sad. I think it's one of the best.