The Birthday Massacre Board The Birthday Massacre Board

Go Back   The Birthday Massacre Board > The Birthday Massacre > The Birthday Massacre

The Birthday Massacre General discussion about the band.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:14 PM
No.

^^ Props to the Sandman pic.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
Keep in mind THIS IS A GREAT LIVE BAND. Try and catch one of their shows or you're missing a distinct element of what makes them great.
I know it is and I know you're right. The Show and Tell DVD displays that perfectly. I have this weird quirk about attending concerts though. I'll try to explain in brief.

When I truly love an artist it's almost better for me as a fan to not see them in concert. I know this will come off as very selfish seeing that bands rely on fans to attend the shows to make a living, but what keeps me going is the releases; CDs, videos, DVDs, merchandise, etc. Being a home body / hermit I find that I enjoy an artist's creation / presentation more so than actually seeing them perform in person. Plus, I also listen to music more from a producer / composer point of view, so the production, arrangements, layering, atmosphere, etc. is what truly excites me.

Every artist who has ever made a true personal and creative impact on me I have never seen live in person (at least in their true form, and when I say that I mean I've seen the band with a line up change, or when the singer went solo with a new band, etc.). I think it's happened that way for me consistently over time for a reason.

It's a part of myself that I retain now on purpose because it keeps the magic alive, and as I get older (I'm basically 30 years old) I need that. I'll purchase everything I can to make their creations a part of my every day life, but attending concerts has never really been my cup of tea. I find it difficult to completely immerse myself in the performance when I'm surrounded by people I don't know in a public arena.

But at the end of the day I must ask myself; would I see them live if the opportunity truly presented itself? Absolutely. So only time will tell. And who knows? Maybe I'll end up meeting some Philly fans at a show sometime at random and eat all of the words I just wrote. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants?
Old 07-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Demi-Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*SCALPEL*~ View Post
Well Marionetta, DoomGem's right...the only person from the band to really get on here is Rhim. Owen has been here only once, a very long time ago, to promote something. Besides that, the rest of the band had accounts on the old board and they did get on more often back in the old days...then they stopped.
I'm not stupid. I knew that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Spiral View Post
^^ Props to the Sandman pic.
*gives you cookie* I hoped someone would get that.

Live and die, live and die – as if in a dream
I just want to sleep
Old 07-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Midnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndube View Post
When I truly love an artist it's almost better for me as a fan to not see them in concert. I know this will come off as very selfish seeing that bands rely on fans to attend the shows to make a living, but what keeps me going is the releases; CDs, videos, DVDs, merchandise, etc.
I can relate to this alot. I have seen a few of my favorite musicians in the past live, and to me the performance musically was never anything compared to the actual recordings. Luckily, the people I had gone to see were people that I loved equally for their sort of personalties I guess. It didn't matter to me that it didn't sound amazing because I loved simply watching them. The better gigs I have been to have been for bands I didn't care about, because I had less to compare them to I think.

Strangely, with TBM I feel so strongly for all of their music, almost every song means something so special to me and I really feel connected to it, but because I feel it really personally, I rarely imagine the band actually playing it or..having anything to do with it xD Don't get me wrong, I have all the respect in the world for them and everything, it's just I almost think it would be weird for me to go and see that music having something to do with anybody but me. I really don't mean it in a selfish way, it's just how it works in my head. I'm also not assuming this is how it is for you, ndube, but it brings a similar feeling I think.

I haven't really gotten the chance to see TBM live yet, and regardless of all that I've said - the second that I can see them, I most obviously will and will keep going to as many of their shows as I ever can! I just think it's understandable to have such extreme sides with this band - the live aspect and the recorded aspect. I hope this has made some sort of sense .___.

deviantARTlast.fm

One love to possess me
Old 07-14-2012, 05:06 PM
In the Mood

^ Of course it did! I think it's awesome that the both of you came out and gave a different view on things. It's obviously not the popular opinion. I can relate too. For me, it really only applies to TBM because their music is so sacred to me...and another band's music, but only because of the psycho fans down in front who like to mosh at their shows when it's the polar opposite of moshing music ...but I digress. Those two are the only exceptions. And that's probably about 0.2% of all the bands/artists I like.

But I've also realized that being down on the floor in a crowd at a TBM show might actually be quite enjoyable for me as well...which would be the opposite way of how I usually enjoy them. I think I'd even prefer that over being far away and sitting in a balcony or whatever...which is kind of ironic. I'd just have to be in the right mood to "dance" I guess.

Last edited by DoomGem; 07-14-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Midnight

^Yes, I think being at the front and dancing the whole time would of course be fun. I guess I would just have to look at it as slightly separated from how I already feel about them. I always gotta deal with things delicately xD

deviantARTlast.fm

One love to possess me
Old 07-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Sugar And Filth

I kinda know wha you mean, I love being able to plug into TBM and turn the whole world off. That being said, for me, live music is just... no words! haha!! I'm surprised I haven't passed out from an overload of joy at a TBM show though!
Old 07-14-2012, 11:49 PM
In the Mood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky View Post
^Yes, I think being at the front and dancing the whole time would of course be fun. I guess I would just have to look at it as slightly separated from how I already feel about them. I always gotta deal with things delicately xD
Same
Old 07-15-2012, 03:07 AM
Black

I too have felt that way about seeing bands I enjoy in a live setting. Basically a "The studio version will always sound better than live" kind of mentality.

But that completely changed when I saw them the last tour. The experience was phenomenal, and made me appreciate the music even more. I wanted to see them live again the very next day, and the next, and the next...
Old 07-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Red Stars

I agree to the point that I questioned just how much they were playing live and how much they were using a backing track. They sounded that good. Plus, I felt they added some oomph to some of the tracks....like the last bit of Lovers End where it gets all dark and industrial. It was so heavy and awesome.

Then there's Chibi...she adds so much in the performance in her facial expressions and gestures. And the sense of connection she's seems to be trying to make with the audience, singling people out etc.

Don't like being in crowds? That's different for me when it's a bunch of people on the same page mentally, then it transcends music being a personal relationship to the music to being a group social experience, and that in itself is a uniquely awesome. I'm biased in that view because I've been to a lot of raves....In that setting, the artist (DJ) in minimized and the crowd becomes a key element of the experience....the vibe of the event adds to the music. In fact, it's required for that kind of experience to be good. I think this occurred for me when I saw TBM headline last Dec. in Teaneck NJ. It was great being in a crowd that loved this band, just like sharing admiration for this band on this forum.

In my 53 years on this earth, I'm glad I can say I saw a lot of great bands perform that have come and gone. I got to see the original Pink Floyd and Stevie Ray Vaughan tear it up. I'm thankful for that and I KNOW I would've missed something special never seeing TBM play a live headlining set. They are great.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Demi-Human

I don't mind crowds. I just don't like it when some asswad tries to push me out of the front.

I just want to sleep
Old 07-16-2012, 03:38 AM
Violet

I just have realized about this. AWESOME!

^Don't let that little things makes you change your mood, stay always smiling as your avatars display, I'm shure that you are a cheerful person
Old 07-16-2012, 06:05 AM
Nyyaaaaa~~!

Send a message via Yahoo to Crazykits Send a message via Skype™ to Crazykits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionetta View Post
I don't mind crowds. I just don't like it when some asswad tries to push me out of the front.
Find a big guy who will stay near you and clear the way!

I've never seen a band live before. So I cant really say if its better listening to it or seeing a live show..we'll see in a few months.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Demi-Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyshure View Post
I just have realized about this. AWESOME!

^Don't let that little things makes you change your mood, stay always smiling as your avatars display, I'm shure that you are a cheerful person
No, he was SHOVING. I was in front and he got all pissy because he thinks that his photography is so much more important than his life.

I just want to sleep
Old 07-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Sugar And Filth

TBM's Facebook:

The Birthday Massacre:
Big news today ...shorty after 5PM EST... (around there). Staytuned"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!