The Birthday Massacre Board The Birthday Massacre Board

Go Back   The Birthday Massacre Board > The Birthday Massacre > The Birthday Massacre

The Birthday Massacre General discussion about the band.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Violet

Default Pretty pathetic when people rip off good bands

see:
Old 03-16-2008, 01:10 AM
Violet

Perhaps.

But at the same time I think some of the "influences" that show up on Walking With Strangers border on plagiarism at times (since there's no asterisk next to 'Movie' that says "as originally heard on 'Plainsong' by The Cure", or one next to 'Weekend' that says "elements borrowed from 'Sailor' by IAMX", or one next to 'Goodnight' that says "melody borrowed from 'Midlife Crisis' by Faith No More", and so on and so forth..), so it's hard to point fingers.

No offense, btw.. it's a lovely cd. Just sayin'.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:46 AM
Violet

you clearly missed the point. posting a picture of a LOGO that's extremely similar to what TBM uses should've been fairly obvious. you should delete your post.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:10 AM
Violet

Send a message via AIM to Deviancy

What are the chances that Daron from SOAD knows who TBM even is?

1 in 700?

I know a lot of guys who make logos for companies, this one isn't anything out there. I believe its in one of the free clip art catalogs I've seen in fact.

However, if the dude from SOAD does know who TBM is, thats kind of cool.

Last edited by Deviancy; 03-16-2008 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Violet

I agree that the logos are similar (very similar, in fact) but TBM don't have a copyright on that font. I guess it's one of those cases of "influence."
However, the TBM logo is better .
Old 03-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Violet

Yeah, the logos do look very similar. Strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinD miragE View Post
But at the same time I think some of the "influences" that show up on Walking With Strangers border on plagiarism at times (since there's no asterisk next to 'Movie' that says "as originally heard on 'Plainsong' by The Cure", or one next to 'Weekend' that says "elements borrowed from 'Sailor' by IAMX", or one next to 'Goodnight' that says "melody borrowed from 'Midlife Crisis' by Faith No More", and so on and so forth..), so it's hard to point fingers.
Hm, I went and listened to those songs and I do hear the resemblance. I always thought the chorus of Weekend sounded like the chorus on U2's Sunday Bloody Sunday.

I promise you one day
(Sunday, bloody Sunday)

I think a lot of musicians subconsciously borrow from songs that they've heard before or have had buried deep in their brains for years. Amanda Palmer of the Dresden Dolls has done this and writes about it sometimes in her blog and in the Dresden Dolls Companion book. She says re: The Jeep Song:

“funny that you didn't mention the actual song that i finally realized i stole the opening melody from: "skull" by [Sebadoh]. go check it out. i'd never deny borrowing, we all do it all the time. every songwriter (and writer, for that matter) is in essence, a thief of everything that's passed before. unfortunately, if every musician had to credit every borrowed influence and change, we'd have liner notes as long as tolstoy novels.” [http://www.dresdendolls.com/contact_...d.archive.htm]

In the Dresden Dolls Companion Book, she says on [Sebadoh]’s “Skull”: “It took me about a year or longer to realize it, but my embarrassment was minimal. My opinion on that is that there’s very little new under the sun and if you happen to subconsciously crib someone else’s melody, it’s just the way it goes. There are only so many notes and so many melodies to go around.” p.73 – and she also takes from The Rolling Stone’s Paint it Black.

I wouldn’t call out TBM on plagiarism.

Last edited by RiFT; 03-16-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Walking with Strangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiFT View Post
Yeah, the logos do look very similar. Strange.

Hm, I went and listened to those songs and I do hear the resemblance. I always thought the chorus of Weekend sounded like the chorus on U2's Sunday Bloody Sunday.

I promise you one day
(Sunday, bloody Sunday)
I noticed that as well but.. I hardly think of that when I'm listening to the song.

If they have taken this with the whole birthday candle and dripping paint/blood whatever , than I would be saying WTF.
Though, because it just the font it's too general I doubt they tried to rip them off.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Violet

Face it, we live in the age now where everything has basically been done before. It's just that now there is someone better, or not so better, than can recycle what has been done before into something sorta new.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:42 AM
Video Kid

reminds me of the song "the truth" (i think that's how it's called) by otto's daughter, saying "the truth is, it's all been done before..."

No more girl next door, actions with no remorse. ~ Ayria

^ Part of the zero bullshit tolerance policy.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Unfamiliar

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathstar View Post
Face it, we live in the age now where everything has basically been done before. It's just that now there is someone better, or not so better, than can recycle what has been done before into something sorta new.
These are my sentiments exactly. In an age where it seems there is more focus on making money by suing people than there is in doing an honest day's work, "plagiarism" (In a very broad sense) is common place. There are so many people, and so many generations, so many books, so many songs. With the internet all of that information is at our finger tips. Call it inspiration. Call it plagiarism. Call it what you will but it's all been done before. Take what's been done and make something new with it.

The Birthday Massacre may or may not have listened to those songs and been "inspired" by them, but I enjoy them, and that's what matters to me.

In regards to the logo, trust me, they're not the only band, group, organization, that has varied the size of individual letters.

The question here is do you enjoy their music? Is it any good? If it's not good then who gives a fuck?
Old 03-17-2008, 07:40 PM
La'Shante 'Bow VII

[QUOTE=maxim;4435]
The Birthday Massacre may or may not have listened to those songs and been "inspired" by them, but I enjoy them, and that's what matters to me.
QUOTE]

Completely agree on this.
One deception you can't keep from me."
Old 03-18-2008, 01:14 AM
Violet

the real question is why this thread wasn't deleted when people started rambling about completely unrelated shit.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:20 AM
Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by the jesse of doom View Post
the real question is why this thread wasn't deleted when people started rambling about completely unrelated shit.
No, the real question is if your only intention in creating the thread was so people would agree and post "Yes, it does indeed suck when people rip off good bands.. which is clearly what has happened here. Those bastards!", then what was the point?

The name of the thread was "Pretty pathetic when people rip off good bands", so I thought it was all fairly relevant.

But, to stay on topic.. in the strictest sense, I think both bands may have ripped off The Twilight Zone.

Last edited by blinD miragE; 03-18-2008 at 04:31 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:05 AM
Video Kid

the real quetion is: why are people still talking about it despite the fact there's obviously no point in it.

No more girl next door, actions with no remorse. ~ Ayria

^ Part of the zero bullshit tolerance policy.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:46 AM
Violet

Mustn't think too deeply on that one, lest you begin to question the point in anything and the reality of your entire existence starts to unravel.

So.. yeah, screw those Scars On Broadway fellows!