The Birthday Massacre Board The Birthday Massacre Board

Go Back   The Birthday Massacre Board > The Birthday Massacre > The Birthday Massacre

The Birthday Massacre General discussion about the band.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Black

Could be a cool idea. I'm interested to see what the incentives are. Will they be based on how much one donates? I imagine all will be explained on the 7th.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:12 PM
Unfamiliar

Interesting, I'm a huge gamer and this is nothing new to me ALOT of smaller game devs use kickstarter to crowd fund their games, some fail and some blow away the estimates. Not a foreign concept. I guess the only bummer is this probably means we are at least a year away from an album being released if they are going to crowd funding for recording and mixing the album.

It sucks that in this day and age a band as talented as them would have to crowd fund an album.

I certainly will contribute.

Last edited by swanlee; 02-05-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:22 AM
Demi-Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkholiday View Post
I'm kind of disappointed...their big announcement is that, essentially, they're asking for money...
This.
I was expecting a bit more. This is hardly "big news" that was worth waiting for.

Live and die, live and die – as if in a dream
I just want to sleep
Old 02-06-2014, 03:25 AM
Violet

I'm pretty excited for this, I was thinking TBM should do a Kickstarter a while back.
I will only be able to contribute a $100 via Paypal.
I can't wait to see all the cool incentives.

Ugh, my bank account linked to my Paypal account expired this week, perfect timing.
I hope I can use a single use or pre paid visa card as I don't have a credit card either.
If not I'll have to wait 3 business days to get another bank account linked.

Last edited by zekeknight; 02-06-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:00 AM
No.

Yeah, I'm not so amused now. I rarely like it when people say that I should be excited for the chance to give them my money. I mean, I'm fucking broke, you know?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:46 AM
Unfamiliar

Something like this also has a huge chance to backfire on them. If the kickstarter isn't funded and the reception is tepid does that mean the album does not come out?
Old 02-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Demi-Human

I'd still donate, I'm just not really pleased with the giant secret.
They could've been like, "Hey guys, we need donations. Care to help out?" And we'd be like, "Fuck yeah! How much?"
Because we love them, y'know?

I just want to sleep
Old 02-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Red

Send a message via Skype™ to Clapperpaw

They call it 'Flexible Funding' where in most cases, the campaign will receive all funds raised even if it doesn't reach its full goal.

I'm sure the album will come out regardless and in the event of the above "perks" will have to be honoured. It's highly unlikely that, with this many albums/EPs under their belt so far, TBM will just quit on a release.

Bands of TBM's calibre set up campaigns like this all the time now. It's fast becoming a common & popular way of releasing records; as essentially it's "cutting out the middleman."
I've recently received albums through the same methods from bands like Johnny Hollow and Obsessive Compulsive. Both associated with TBM by one degree or another and both successful with their goals. It does work!

In no way are bands demanding money off fans. Like I said, the range of incentives will probably start with standard pre-orders for the album (so nothing different to you voluntarily buying it elsewhere) with hopefully an advance download if purchasing on CD, to limited/exclusive items from the TBM vault or personal band members' collections.

Sure some people will have more money to spend than others but that's just life. The overall fact is you're helping out your favourite artists and it's an easy way to stay updated through the album's progress directly via the band. Rather than being given the tiny odd bit of information from record labels.

I'm not by any means saying people should be feeling excited about this, or that it's the massive news everyone was hoping for but for me personally, it's as good as seeing a release date or link to buy something I've been really excited for. It's all happening.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Oh My Cod!

New Facebook Post:

Quote:
Every pledge comes with a digital download, a shout out to your Facebook page ...access to updates and personal videos from the band members....and ...... How about.... a personalized answering message on your phone from Chibi? The teacher's mask from the Looking Glass video? Handwritten lyrics of your favorite song? Skype chat with the band? In the studio when the band is mxing the new album with Rainbow, Falcore and Dave "Rave"Ogilvie? Stay tuned!
THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME! Just wish I had more money because I want to buy everything possible.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Red

Send a message via Skype™ to Clapperpaw

Old 02-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Demi-Human

I want that mask... *v*

I just want to sleep
Old 02-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Wanderer

I'll be pledging. It wasn't the news I was anticipating, but...I think this is a good idea. I admit that I really don't like the "give us money!" aspect of Pledge Campaigns, but you know what? Even if you donate one dollar, one pound, one Euro, whatever--you're supporting the band directly. I'm all for it.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:22 PM
Unfamiliar

I hope they have .flac or lossless versions of the album for pledges. Do not want compressed crap if I'm paying full price.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:04 AM
Violet

Paypal back to working order, in record time.
Waiting patiently for the Pledge to go live.

5:00 start time

Last edited by zekeknight; 02-07-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Sleepwalking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clapperpaw View Post
They call it 'Flexible Funding' where in most cases, the campaign will receive all funds raised even if it doesn't reach its full goal.

I'm sure the album will come out regardless and in the event of the above "perks" will have to be honoured. It's highly unlikely that, with this many albums/EPs under their belt so far, TBM will just quit on a release.

Bands of TBM's calibre set up campaigns like this all the time now. It's fast becoming a common & popular way of releasing records; as essentially it's "cutting out the middleman."
I've recently received albums through the same methods from bands like Johnny Hollow and Obsessive Compulsive. Both associated with TBM by one degree or another and both successful with their goals. It does work!

In no way are bands demanding money off fans. Like I said, the range of incentives will probably start with standard pre-orders for the album (so nothing different to you voluntarily buying it elsewhere) with hopefully an advance download if purchasing on CD, to limited/exclusive items from the TBM vault or personal band members' collections.

Sure some people will have more money to spend than others but that's just life. The overall fact is you're helping out your favourite artists and it's an easy way to stay updated through the album's progress directly via the band. Rather than being given the tiny odd bit of information from record labels.

I'm not by any means saying people should be feeling excited about this, or that it's the massive news everyone was hoping for but for me personally, it's as good as seeing a release date or link to buy something I've been really excited for. It's all happening.
Nail on the head, for me. It's way to help, contribute and communicate with TBM. I love helping artists, my friends and more. So this is great. I mean, I'm not exactly rolling in the Benjamins, but I know they aren't either. A small band on an indie label can at times, use the help of fans.

And allow me to be neighborly.
Three Gods. One true Faith.
By the Three, my rights and duties.