The Birthday Massacre Board The Birthday Massacre Board

Go Back   The Birthday Massacre Board > The Birthday Massacre > The Birthday Massacre

The Birthday Massacre General discussion about the band.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:17 PM
Red Stars

Cool Word of mouth! (TBM Style)

How would you describe TBM to a friend or family? Would you classify them into a genre or style? Would you mention the sounds they use? Would you give brief history on the band? Would you talk about their shows? What do you get most excited about when telling someone about this incredible band?

I still can't figure out what genre to "label" them in..maybe they don't need one! Theyre just so unique . But man I can talk TBM until I'm told to shut up.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:40 AM
Walking with Strangers

When describing the band via word of mouth (or even online) I say to not judge them by the name - despite what the name may imply, they're not a heavy death metal band - and even if they were, they are such genuinely lovely, down-to-Earth people. Their music is nostalgic, magical, dreamy, atmospheric and cinematic and when you listen to them for the first time you'll say 'Wow, I haven't heard music like this before', and wonder why they aren't more well known.

I say that the band don't like to label themselves and span many genres - new wave, dark wave, industrial, synth pop, goth rock, metal etc...they have a big 80's influence, having all grown up in the 80's.

And I also mention, that I know people will say their favourite band is the best in the world but you've never heard anything like TBM's music and even if you're selective about what you listen to, TBM is worth the listen.

Thank you Plague Kitty for the signature. :')

Last edited by DoomScarf; 04-17-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:47 AM
Oh My Cod!

The genre I like to describe them as is synthrock although I know their music fits so many other genres too.
One time my eye doctor thought my TBM shirt (the one from Superstition with the 3 bunny eared children) was a Donnie Darko shirt. I told her it was my favorite band called The Birthday Massacre and she asked what kind of music was it. I said it's like synthrock and I said something about 80's styled, dancey type music (which of course not all songs are, it's just the first thing that popped into my head xD)

Next time I will definitely mention that it's "not what you think" if I get a weird look lol people really do judge them by the band name. Someone I know online said she checked out their music only because of the artwork I made. She said she doesn't like the band name but can understand it from their explanation. I personally love the band name because of its contrast :D I wish people wouldn't judge like that but I can understand it too. Most people wouldn't even think on a deeper level how "birthday" and "massacre" are contrasting and fits overall with the band and their themes. I like to think those people are pleasantly surprised when they take a listen! ^_^

I'd also like to mention how interactive they are with their fans and how nice and caring they are too. I think that's super important and actually rare. I'd probably specifically mention how they've interacted with me but especially with other fans stories that I've read online. How they remember faces, names, stories, gifts, and lots more that fans have told them previously. What wonderful people :3
Old 06-25-2017, 12:27 PM
Walking with Strangers

I forgot to mention that I will sometimes mention the history of the band - that they were originally known as Imagica, about their video contest, the 2 Pledge campaigns and how successful they've been in particular.

Thank you Plague Kitty for the signature. :')