The Birthday Massacre Board The Birthday Massacre Board

Go Back   The Birthday Massacre Board > The Birthday Massacre > The Birthday Massacre

The Birthday Massacre General discussion about the band.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:24 AM
Violet

Question The Other Side - /The serpent is dreaming/.

From the song on Superstition. Note the self devouring serpent on what I think will be the cover of the new album;

maybe new album cover.jpg

What do your think?
  • Coincidence?
  • Serendipity?
  • Sly reference?
  • Sorcery?
  • Something else?

Last edited by yeancientone; 10-06-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:12 AM
Walking with Strangers

Glad I'm not the only one to notice. I personally think it's either a reference or will be the theme of the new album.

Doesn't seem like the first time something like this has happened. TV Tropes has this to say about Show and Tell: "Album Title Drop: Show and Tell is a line from "Kill the Lights" ("This story's missing a wishing well / No mirror to show and tell.")"

And someone over on Pledge commented this in the discussion page: "There's a question I've had in mind for a very very long time. 1. Superstition seems to obviously be a concept album, but I'm wondering; Is it related to Hide and Seek? It seems so. And is Hide and Seek also a concept album?

I realize the whole "listener's impression and truth" approach if there is one, but what do you guys personally think?"

And Terry's response: "I haven't gone into it in great depth with the band Nicholay, but you are right.... each album has a theme and there are themes that run through the albums. Like water with Hide and Seek leading into Superstition.

Walking with Strangers was all about elementary and high school. Many of the songs sound more mysterious or frightening than they really are. For example; Weekend on the WWS record is about how Rainbow and Falcore, who were childhood friends, used to turn out the lights in the house when their parents were gone and chase each other around in the dark. So.... if you know that the lyrics start to make a lot of sense. Chibii writes a lot of lyrics as well and there are stories behind many of those songs.

So... keep digging .... I think it gets more and more interesting the deeper you go!

Terry the Manager"

Thank you Plague Kitty for the signature. :')
Old 10-06-2016, 11:22 AM
Violet

I adore deliberately re-interpretable lyrics. It makes the songs last forever.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:26 AM
Walking with Strangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeancientone View Post
I adore deliberately re-interpretable lyrics. It makes the songs last forever.
It's only forever, for a day ~

Last edited by DoomScarf; 10-06-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:41 PM
Zombie Kitty

I think Hide And Seek is related to Superstition. If you notice, The Long Way Home ends with waves crashing. And Divide starts with ocean waves.

The witch is inside of me
Her poison will wash away the memory
Old 10-07-2016, 08:44 AM
Walking with Strangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague Kitty View Post
I think Hide And Seek is related to Superstition. If you notice, The Long Way Home ends with waves crashing. And Divide starts with ocean waves.
Good catch, never noticed that myself.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:33 PM
Oh My Cod!

I think the Serpent is not a coincidence and is part of how possibly the next album will be related to Superstition and therefore, Hide And Seek. It looks like Ouroboros, which is an ancient symbol of a snake eating it's own tail that represents paradox or infinity and wholeness. That could tie in with several mythological, spiritual and religious references that TBM has been doing, especially for Superstition.

Chibi talks about this HERE in an interview with Arena.

Quote:
Chibi: Oh, "Divide" is a good one. That one has a lot of, sort of, legend imagery to it. We were looking at Norse mythology and sort of the concept of three witches, and there is a tree in the forest, and the river goes to it and feeds it the rive of life. Again, [going back to] all these spiritual ideas and concepts of what lies beyond and what different people believe. If there were any viking funeral stuff, it would probably be in that song (laughs). If you look at the lyrics of that, we just sort of dug up some stuff. Rainbow was really into the lyrical imagery of that song. He did a lot of research and put a lot of images we've never heard of before [into that song].
- Divide also has the lyrics: "In the night, we dance with our devils and dine with the snakes."

For the Beyond music video, it seems to be similar to a viking funeral: "lakes of fire" - just on land
I dunno if it's another reference but in the song it says "The sound of her voice lost in thunder" I always think of Thor, the Norse god associated with thunder and lightning.

Also, when I bought the "Occult Bunny" t-shirt, I looked into the symbols on it:

1. "The crossed keys in the coat of arms of the Holy See symbolise the keys of heaven entrusted to Simon Peter."

Religious, heaven (which could tie into the afterlife theme)

2. "In Crete, the symbol of the double-axe (aka Labrys) always accompanies goddesses, and it seems that it was the symbol of the beginning (arche) of the creation. The word labyrinth, which the Greeks used for the palace of Knossos is possibly derived from labrys."

Mythology, beginning (could relate to a new start or new life in the "afterlife") Labyrinth made me think of the maze that appears in the Blue music video

3. "The valknut (Old Norse valr, "slain warriors" and knut, "knot") is a symbol consisting of three interlocked triangles, and appears on various Germanic objects."

Norse mythology, knot (the serpent, infinity) the number 3, which I have noticed TBM using more of lately: "The fates will divide in three." "Two brothers and a sister with three poison hearts" - these characters appear on the album cover and "Trinity"

Quote:
Yes!!! They are definitely related, I think. Even the albums themes seem to tie into each other...Hide And Seek seems to be about murder and death. Superstition to me, is about after that and being on "the other side" (which is even a song title ;D) so it's continuing some story (or stories) that Hide And Seek has told.

At the end of Superstition, with the instrumental, it sounds like it will be continued. Like it's not actually over :D Hoping the new album will continue from that, just like Superstition starts from at the end of "The Long Way Home"

I really love what they are doing with the mythological references and such with their songs, especially Norse mythology Very interesting and creative, cannot wait to see what they do for the next album, even if it's not going to be as connected as I am anticipating!

Sorry for the rambling, I don't even know if the connections I made even mean anything but just found it all interesting and wanted to share ;D I'm sure there's probably even more connections with more research

Last edited by Chimera Doll; 10-07-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:32 AM
Demi-Human

All I can say about the ouroboros is:

"Ed......ward....."

You'll get it if you're an anime fan. = w =

Live and die, live and die ľ as if in a dream
I just want to sleep
Old 10-08-2016, 02:07 AM
Zombie Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera Doll View Post
2. "In Crete, the symbol of the double-axe (aka Labrys) always accompanies goddesses, and it seems that it was the symbol of the beginning (arche) of the creation. The word labyrinth, which the Greeks used for the palace of Knossos is possibly derived from labrys."

Mythology, beginning (could relate to a new start or new life in the "afterlife") Labyrinth made me think of the maze that appears in the Blue music video

3. "The valknut (Old Norse valr, "slain warriors" and knut, "knot") is a symbol consisting of three interlocked triangles, and appears on various Germanic objects."

Yes!!! They are definitely related, I think. Even the albums themes seem to tie into each other...Hide And Seek seems to be about murder and death. Superstition to me, is about after that and being on "the other side" (which is even a song title ;D) so it's continuing some story (or stories) that Hide And Seek has told.

At the end of Superstition, with the instrumental, it sounds like it will be continued. Like it's not actually over :D Hoping the new album will continue from that, just like Superstition starts from at the end of "The Long Way Home"

I really love what they are doing with the mythological references and such with their songs, especially Norse mythology Very interesting and creative, cannot wait to see what they do for the next album, even if it's not going to be as connected as I am anticipating!

Sorry for the rambling, I don't even know if the connections I made even mean anything but just found it all interesting and wanted to share ;D I'm sure there's probably even more connections with more research
*Grabs you by the back of the head and kisses you with just lips (basically one big smooch)!!!!!!* :'D
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes to everything~!!!!!! ❤

Sorry for the kiss ^^; You had me at goddesses, labyrinth and the "Blue" video.

Old 10-08-2016, 02:09 AM
Zombie Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomScarf View Post
Good catch, never noticed that myself.
Thanks! ❤

Old 10-09-2016, 12:07 PM
Violet

Quote:
I think the Serpent .... with more research
Those are revelatory. Funny, all my interpretations were all over the place - which is always good anyway. There's so much lyrical depth to TBM's songs. Thanks for sharing - it's great to delve.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:30 PM
Oh My Cod!

Quote:
*Grabs you by the back of the head and kisses you with just lips (basically one big smooch)!!!!!!* :'D
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes to everything~!!!!!! ❤

Sorry for the kiss ^^; You had me at goddesses, labyrinth and the "Blue" video.
Hahah aww you you're so adorable! :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeancientone View Post
Those are revelatory. Funny, all my interpretations were all over the place - which is always good anyway. There's so much lyrical depth to TBM's songs. Thanks for sharing - it's great to delve.
Yes! I think one thing great about music and its lyrics is people can interpret them differently sometimes and it all can make sense :D There really is a lot of lyrical depth, kinda wanna look into it even more. Thank you for creating this very interesting thread!
Old 10-09-2016, 08:26 PM
Zombie Kitty

Quote:
Hahah aww you you're so adorable! :3
Thanks x) *hugglomps and nibbles* omnomnomnomnom! Zombie Plague Kitteh! :D

Sorry. Just really excited for a video game I bought and I'm all happy. Silent Hill: Homecoming. First time playing this game. Plus, I have my Halloween costume and makeup all figured out Just need to go out and buy a few things.

Last edited by Plague Kitty; 10-09-2016 at 08:31 PM.